Issue Briefs are informative statements approved by the NASEMSO Executive Committee that can be used to educate or inform the public and others describing an issue or concern of the EMS community.
- Emergency Medical Services Homeland Security Considerations (Jan 2017) This NASEMSO issue brief was compiled for the transition team
of President Donald Trump.
- The Opiate Crisis in Rural America, presentation at Aug. 14, 2015, National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health (NOSORH) webinar, by Carol Cunningham, MD, FAAEM, FACEP,
State Medical Director,
Ohio Department of Public Safety, Division of EMS,
Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine,
Akron General Medical Center and Northeast Ohio Medical University.
- NASEMSO Issue Brief: The Use of
Naloxone in Out-of-Hospital Settings (revised 06/30/15) This resource is intended as an informational guide on the use of naloxone in out-of-hospital settings and the rationale for including mandatory education and medical oversight for the use of naloxone by non-medical personnel. The National Association of State EMS Officials believes that the increase of substance abuse in the United States is a significant public health and public safety concern that warrants consideration of several related issues.
- Issue Brief for NASEMSO Members: Drug Shortages and Controlled Substance Regulation (02/13/13)
- Statement of the National Association of State EMS Officials (NASEMSO) to the Institute of Medicine Workshop on Current Research Issues—Personal Protective Equipment for Healthcare Workers to Prevent Transmission of Pandemic Influenza and Other Viral Respiratory Infections (06/03/10)
- Activation of National Ambulance Contract
Notification Procedures (05/14/10)
- The Use of N95 Masks and Fit Testing Requirements for EMS Personnel (01/18/10)
- Activation and Reimbursement Concerns for EMS Disaster Response (01/26/09)
- Summary Position Statement of NASEMSO on the Need for Shared State and Federal Regulation of Air Medical Services (01/14/09)
- H.R. 6331, Medicare Reimbursement Report (07/23/08)
- NASEMSO Issue Brief on the Repeal of Emergency-Response Provisions Contained in the Ryan White Care Act (04/17/08)